Skip to main content

Greenery for Altar Flowers

On this Solemnity of St. Joseph, I thought I would write a bit about one of the colors associated with our beloved St. Joseph, green.
In God's perfectly-ordered creation, this color serves as a backdrop to both the rose and the lily.  Perhaps greenery is a sort of metaphor for St. Joseph: always present and right behind, highlighting the splendor and perfection of Our Lady and Our Lord.  

This reflection leads me into more practical considerations for the use of greenery in my arrangements.  Greenery is, for me, what "makes" an arrangement and adds your personal touch.   It is also a way to stretch your flower budget, and make one dozen roses look like two.  

I live in a Pacific coastal climate where there is an abundance of greenery available throughout the year.  This eliminates the need to purchase greenery for my arrangements and affords me a lot of flexibility in choosing greens.  

However, if you live in the desert or in an area with extreme temperatures, take inventory of what you have available.  On a recent trip to Arizona, I saw an abundance of citrus trees and bushes.  The greenery on these plants is beautiful, and could be very useful for arrangements.  Olive and palm are also good fillers.  

If you are in an extreme winter region, take a drive and scout around for a free source of evergreens.  Large branches of evergreens can be trimmed to fill out your arrangement and add a nice regional and seasonal feel.  Consider planting some hardy perennials in your own home garden that can be a quick and dependable source for greens.  

When choosing greens I consider: the color and size of the flowers, the feast or liturgical season, the symbolic value of the greens (if any), the desired impact, the necessary height and width of the arrangement, any blossoms the greenery may have that compliment the colors in the arrangement. 

An important note:  Ask your priest if he has any allergies. We don't want our dear priests to be sneezing through the sacred liturgy!

Here is list of my favorite foraged greens for use in altar arrangements. 

Foundation greens:  

These are the greens I use as the foundation of the arrangement.  I choose one or more and usually position them in the oasis first.  After placing the flowers I use them as filler. 

Privet



Escalonia


Pittosporum


Magnolia

Camellia

English Laurel

Redwood 


Height, texture and movement:

Ferns

Breath of Heaven

Ginger

Westringia

Crocosmia

Heather


Smaller stems for fill:

Huckleberry


Holly


Ivy


Rosemary


Boxwood


Hebe


Dusty Miller

Other favorites:

Acacia 


Asparagus


Eucalyptus


Cedar



Thank you Fleurs de Marie-Jacqueline for inspiring me to write this post!




Comments

  1. I particularly like the Dusty Miller with roses, so unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willa! I did this combination for Christmas!

      Delete
  2. This is terrific, Gemma. The definitive post on the use of greenery for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad, Marie-Jacqueline! I will be doing some updates on this in the future when I have time. There is so much more to say!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christ the King: Altar Flowers

Altar flowers for the feast of  Christ the King! The challenge with these arrangements was to incorporate the traditional colors of white, gold and red with the request from a dear friend to provide flowers for the church upon the celebration of her son's nuptial Mass.   The bride selected autumn colors for her bridal bouquet: burnt orange, dark red and rose.  I thought it would be best to select flowers that could be used for both the wedding (on the feast of St. Raphael Archangel) and the feast of Christ the King.  Let me know what you think!  Entry table arrangement Side altar arrangement Another entry table arrangement Main altar arrangement Roses and lilies with acacia, eucalyptus and blueberry greens. Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat!

Hydrangeas, Roses & Holly: Altar Flowers for Christmas

                      Unfortunately, this is the best picture I could get of the arrangements for the Latin Mass on Christmas Day.   However, it may serve as inspiration for what can be done in the most unlikely of spaces.   The architecture of the church is typical postmodern, with no vestiges of the past.  The crucifix was added and the tabernacle put in its rightful place only within the last d ecade.  Who would have thought that the Latin Mass would be making its debut here in our isolated, rural community when there are a handful of beautiful, century-old churches perfectly designed for the purpose not far away! The proliferation of fake poinsettias already present in the church set me in motion to find other examples of possibilities for the traditional altar.  My search led me to the liturgy guy's post Does this 1944 Christmas Eve Mass Look Anything Like Yours?   I was inspired by the Solemn High Mass featured in the movie Christmas Holiday and later horrified a

Altar Flowers for Marian Feasts

For the feast of the Annunciation, we will have no Traditional Latin Mass.  Much the same as last year, yet different.  At the large brass doors of the church I left two small flower offerings for our good curĂ© to place on the altar for his private Mass.  His Roman vestments were trimmed in sky blue.  Looking round the garden, forget-me-nots seemed appropos.  One year later, the forget-me-nots are back, but now the private Latin Masses are being canceled in the Vatican. Supernatural hope prevails.  Our Lady breaks through the spiritual darkness and the Lenten flower fast with her  fiat  at the Annunciation. For altar flowers, perfectly white roses would be my ideal choice.  Where white roses aren't available, alstroemeria, carnations and liles are good substitutes.  Daffodils, or "Mary's Star", would also add a beautiful touch of gold. For information on flowers traditionally associated with Our Lady, check out  Fleurs de Marie-Jacqueline's blog. Here are some arr