Skip to main content

Passion Flower & Daffodils: Flowers for the Altar of Repose


Arrangements for the altar of repose on Holy Thursday. Daffodils, white tulips, jasmine, passion flower greens, hebe and dusty miller.  Thank you Fleur de Marie-Jacqueline for the inspiration!

*A cautionary tale about daffodils.  I bought them on Holy Wednesday looking gorgeous.  By Holy Thursday morning the petals were beginning to turn slightly papery and brown, and by the time I arranged them and transported them a half hour in the car...not so great.  Buy them the day of the Mass, if possible!  The ones that were partially closed when I bought them on Wednesday, oddly, didn't look so great either.  

Thanks be to God, from a short distance they looked very pretty.  

This was also my opportunity to use passion flower vine which I tucked in at the base of the arrangements.  I discovered the beautiful symbolism of this vine only a few years ago.  Find more on that here.

Some two years ago or so, our good curé asked if I would disassemble this fiddleback chasuble so the orphrey could be sent to Rome to be rebuilt. It was an inexpensive find on a used liturgical vestments website. The green silk was badly damaged but the trim and the orphrey were beautiful and salvageable. 

The floral motif caught my attention and he explained to me the symbolism.  I fell in love all over again with the beauty of the Faith.  The via pulchritudinis in every detail.     

In anticipation of the Easter flower feast, a delightful read on the use of flowers in vestments can be found here on the Liturgical Arts Journal.  A blessed Good Friday to you! 

Comments

  1. Another wonderful post! I liked that you added the vestment photos and information. I also liked that you linked Elaine Jordan's terrific post on the passion flower. She has many such on the same site. I just added a link to this post of yours to my own brief post on flowers for the altar of repose on Maundy Thursday. Your own blog - dare I say - is really blossoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, thank you Marie-Jacqueline! He is risen, Happy Easter!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Christ the King: Altar Flowers

Altar flowers for the feast of  Christ the King! The challenge with these arrangements was to incorporate the traditional colors of white, gold and red with the request from a dear friend to provide flowers for the church upon the celebration of her son's nuptial Mass.   The bride selected autumn colors for her bridal bouquet: burnt orange, dark red and rose.  I thought it would be best to select flowers that could be used for both the wedding (on the feast of St. Raphael Archangel) and the feast of Christ the King.  Let me know what you think!  Entry table arrangement Side altar arrangement Another entry table arrangement Main altar arrangement Roses and lilies with acacia, eucalyptus and blueberry greens. Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat!

Hydrangeas, Roses & Holly: Altar Flowers for Christmas

                      Unfortunately, this is the best picture I could get of the arrangements for the Latin Mass on Christmas Day.   However, it may serve as inspiration for what can be done in the most unlikely of spaces.   The architecture of the church is typical postmodern, with no vestiges of the past.  The crucifix was added and the tabernacle put in its rightful place only within the last d ecade.  Who would have thought that the Latin Mass would be making its debut here in our isolated, rural community when there are a handful of beautiful, century-old churches perfectly designed for the purpose not far away! The proliferation of fake poinsettias already present in the church set me in motion to find other examples of possibilities for the traditional altar.  My search led me to the liturgy guy's post Does this 1944 Christmas Eve Mass Look Anything Like Yours?   I was inspired by the Solemn High Mass featured in the movie Christmas Holiday and later horrified a

Corpus Christi Altar Flowers

White and gold arrangements for the Traditional Latin Mass feast of Corpus Christi. Alstroemeria, carnations, centranthus, boxwood, variegated privet (?), maple leaves, and  rosemary  sprigs.